Ms. Melina went live on Instagram (@EMSBBASE ) to give some helpful tips on how to cook with whatever you happen to have on hand. In our Cooking Clubs, we call this “Intuitive Cooking”. One of the best dishes to cook when you have things in the fridge and pantry you need to use is a hearty soup. Here is the recipe with some alternative ingredients you might have at home!
What You’ll Need
2 Cups of hearty greens (leaves sliced and stems chopped) – collard greens, kale or swiss chard will do
1/2 cup of each diced carrots, celery and fennel – if you don’t have one of the three that’s ok too!
1 finely diced onion
2 cloves of garlic finely diced
1/2 cup of any type of squash -acorn, butternut or even zucchini
1/2 cup of mushrooms – you can use oyster, king oyster, cremini or even white button mushrooms
1/2 cup of barley
1/2 can of chicpeas or any type of beans you like – strained from the water
1 large tablespoon of miso paste
1 vegetable bouillon cube
4 cups of water
What You’ll Do
- Heat a knob of butter or a glug of oil in a large pot on medium heat.
- Add your diced onion, garlic, fennel, carrots, celery, squash and the stems of the greens. Sauté until they get some colour on them (around 5-6 minutes continuous stirring).
- Add your mushrooms, leaves of your greens, beans and barley. Sauté for 3-4 minutes until all the new ingredients have been coated in the oil and butter. If you feel like it is slightly dry- you can add some more oil or butter or even a little water.
- Add your miso paste, bouillon cube and your 4 cups of water- stir well
- Bring your soup to a boil- once at a boil reduce the heat to medium and cook for 20-25 minutes or until the barley is cooked through
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Ready to enjoy!
To make your broth more complex you can add a teaspoon of vinegar, olive oil
To make your soup extra yummy, you can add your favourite herbs on top like the tops of fennels, parsley. Also a good squeeze of lemon or even some parmesan cheese. Get creative!!